Re: the gnustep wreckage. Part 1: windowmaker and user apps

From: Nicolas Roard
Subject: Re: the gnustep wreckage. Part 1: windowmaker and user apps
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 18:11:37 +0000

Le 19 nov. 04, à 15:44, Enrico Sersale a écrit :

I want to reply to this point because it seems that many people don't like the actual solution.

There are (and there will be) two main applications, GWorkspace and Desktop.

In the future, Desktop will be integrated in the window manager and this means that it will use X stuff directly, not allowing anymore any kind of unification with GW.

Last week I've made some experiments with WindowMaker and I've got it to work as a GNUstep application (the X events are intercepted by the run loop of the app and then passed to the Window Maker function); after this I've tried to add to WMaker.app part of the sources of Desktop and I've got the Desktop window and the Dock (my dock) on all the WindowMaker workspaces. So, I think that this is the right way to go (using WindowManager or something else).

In this perspective, the existence of all the helper apps is easy understandable:

both the apps needs file operations.
both the apps needs an Inspector.
both the apps needs a Finder and will use its File Annotations and Live Search Folders.
both the apps use fswatcher, thumbnailer, etc...

Yes, but why having multiple graphical applications ?
Wouldn't it be better to use frameworks for that ? and optionally some servers (tools) if you really want for things like copy operations ?

--
Nicolas Roard
 -Arthur C. Clarke