Re: customize GNUstep

From: Nicolas Roard
Subject: Re: customize GNUstep
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 23:28:05 +0100

Le 22 juin 05 à 22:56, Quentin Mathé a écrit :

Theoretically controlBackgroundColor would the right choice because NSToolbar isn't a precisely bounded clickable area like a button, but a clickable area which varies with displayed content like a table view or a browser column. However controlBackgroundColor is currently white in GNUstep and that's the problem because a completely white toolbar would be ugly.

Actually, controlBackgroundColor is set to NSLightGray by default (0.667), which is the same value as for example, windowBackgroundColor ... and personally I think controlBackgroundColor would be fine for the toolbar. Although we can have (as of now) a different colorname if you really want to have a different color.. :-)

Basically the problem wasn't, shall we include or not new colorNames (as you said, I'll need to add a couple of new ones for Camaelon too..) but more, "how do we include them" ? -- eg, shall we put the new color names in the default system color list, or shall we (as you did for NSToolbar) create a different color list for theses additional
colors..

Personally I would tend to prefer putting the additional system colors in the default system color list, that would be simpler. Sure, thoses colors aren't in OpenStep, but that's not a problem -- the default system color list is on the implementation side... so as long as we mark possible new accessors methods for theses additional colors as specifically "gnustep only" then, I don't see a problem by putting all the colors used by gnustep in the system color
list. But well, that's a matter of taste.

For this reason I wanted to introduce another color value for toolbar background which would be available in GNUstep NSColor implementation (unlike Cocoa). For the border color, I may try NSBox color… but I remember to have tried various shades of gray available with NSColor before deciding to use a custom gray for the border too.

Why not using a bevel for the border ? I always disliked the simple line of the current NSToolbar... I did some tests with GNUMail when NSToolbar was introduced that you could be interested in: http://www.roard.com/screenshots/gnumail-toolbar1.png -- same color as the window's background http://www.roard.com/screenshots/gnumail-toolbar2.png -- slightly lighter gray http://www.roard.com/screenshots/gnumail-toolbar3.png -- using buttons ...

They all show a bevel border, and imho it looks much better. I tend to prefer gnumail-toolbar1.png over the others.

Cheers,

--
Nicolas Roard
 -Arthur C. Clarke