Re: GNUstep on the rise!

From: Chris Vetter
Subject: Re: GNUstep on the rise!
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 14:13:23 +0200 (MEST)

On Thu, 4 Aug 2005 12:26:47 Nicolas Roard wrote:
[...]
> Well, GNUstep itself should stay as it is, cross-platform, indeed.

Absolutely.

[...]
> For me the only real option would indeed to have a "GNUstep" OS
> containing only GNUstep apps, to really have a consistent and powerful
> environment that people can easily try and adopt. Plus, in some way it
> would be easier than a desktop: with a desktop you need to be rather
> tolerant to your host OS, while with an OS you can control everything
> and thus propose original solutions (eg you can decide to use launchd,
> rendezvous, etc.). If people want to adapt the "desktop" part on their
> own os, they still can anyway.
[...]

Again, I agree. However, rather than creating another 'new' OS ('new'
because it would certainly be another derivative version of UNIX), I'd
preferably go with a 'stripped down' version of Darwin.
That is, 'stripped down' as in 'without DarwinPorts' where possible.

--
Chris