Re: Site, apps and CMS (Was: Re: StepTalk blog)

From: Stefan Urbanek
Subject: Re: Site, apps and CMS (Was: Re: StepTalk blog)
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 22:37:56 +0200

On Fri, 2005-08-12 at 13:37 -0600, Adam Fedor wrote:
> On Aug 12, 2005, at 1:16 PM, Stefan Urbanek wrote:
> >
> >> Please can all willing editors who find this too hard let us know.
> >> Then we can try making it easier, or switch editing method.
> >>

> > Vicious circle... I say: we will not have editors until there will be
> > easier way of editing. You say: we will not change editing way until
> > there is going to be editor willing to edit with another tool...
> >

> It's not a vicious circle. We're just trying to determine if it is
> worth the effort. I'd like to know as well - Is there anyone who is
> really willing to commit time to update the web site but has not
> because it's too hard to do things the way they are setup now?

Even if there will be no answer on this list, it does not mean that that
there is no one. As we all know, OSS is (or was?) mainly about volunteer
contributions. Progress in this area is based on synergic effect of tiny
contributions. Therefore it is not about having one person doing all the
work, it is more about more persons with one or very few "moderators"
who have the idea of a goal.

But back to the question. From time to time even I have several things
that I would like to put there or change there. However, I do not do it,
because: 1. when I have the idea I am usualy at place where I have no
CVS access. 2. I do not like mucking with HTML. The CMS would allow me
to do gradual, small and most importantly, immediate changes.

See you in a week or two,

Stefan

p.s.: Anyway, I can give you at least one example of a person who
devoted lots of time to GNUstep and was not even subscribed to this
list. He is also working on important GNUstep extensions (CoreData)... I
bet there are more, and not only developers. Thinking that everyone who
likes GNUstep and has something to contribute is on this list is a big
mistake. (No offense, just observation.)
--
http://stefan.agentfarms.net

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then
you win.
- Mahatma Gandhi