Re: Site, apps and CMS (Was: Re: StepTalk blog)

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: Site, apps and CMS (Was: Re: StepTalk blog)
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 10:34:30 +0100

Gregory John Casamento <greg_casamento@yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- MJ Ray <mjr@phonecoop.coop> wrote:
> > Focus on the real questions yourself. This whole "CMS or not,
> > my CMS is better than yours" debate is totally besides the point.
>
> I'm neither for or against it.   I personally, like the idea that I can edit
> things in a text editor from the command line and commit the changes via CVS,
> but I am not against the idea of exploring the possibilities which a CMS might
> offer.

Me neither. I am worried about being locked out of the site editing
when there aren't enough people to maintain it. As Joe wrote, a
scripted interface for old hands "would be nice to have in a CMS."

> > Questions of "who will maintain this" have been totally ignored,
> > as far as I've noticed. No-one steps up to the plate like Scott
> > and co. did to make the last site. Do we want another GSApps?
> > That site could be so great, but it's unmaintained. We can't
> > even update the template to look like the main site, AFAICT.
>
> These are all questions which must be solved through a debate within the
> community.

I think we're in vigorous agreement on this. Can we try to develop
some solutions? Scott has suggested a new page style, while David
has offered the GSApps source. Hopefully both of those will be
available as code soon. I've started trying to simplify the
navigation, merge duplicate pages and link them into subsites.
What's the best next step?

I suggest it's audience research. We're just covering the overdue
"obvious" stuff first. I don't know if Thom's willing to share
his findings so far, but more research wouldn't hurt anyway.

Best wishes,
--
MJ Ray (slef), K. Lynn, England, email see http://mjr.towers.org.uk/