Re: Documentation in OpenOffice format

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: Documentation in OpenOffice format
Date: 29 Aug 2005 12:21:21 GMT

Stefan Urbanek <stefan@agentfarms.net> wrote:
> I would like to write StepTalk documentation in OpenOffice.org
> writer/draw/impress format. Can I upload such documentation into CVS?

Like any zip file, it may be better to put it unpacked into CVS.

> Also, should I put PDF versions there too or generate PDFs only
> for .tar.gz?

Your choice. I think generate PDF for tar.gz only.

> There are several reasons why I would like to do that:
> - it is much faster to write docs there
> - no need to waste time on various tags, focus on the contents

I think that's true of any good rich text editor, including texmacs
and the various WYSIWYGish Emacs modes, but yes, it's A Good Thing.
(OOo is even more of a kitchen sink with a format harder to edit
outside the program than Emacs ever was, but no-one much comments???)

> - easy image integration and manipulation
> - decent printable output
> - nice PDF output

True of tex-based and groff-based formats too, in my opinion.

> What do you think?

I think that unzipping and using CVS might work, but might be
too awkward for you (with the pack/unpack shuffle) and other
problems (are there line breaks in OOo's XML?) may make CVS not
work well either.  If you're set on OpenOffice, you're the one
maintaining it, so that's the most important consideration.

Hope that helps,
--
MJR/slef