Re: Documentation in OpenOffice format

From: Adrian Robert
Subject: Re: Documentation in OpenOffice format
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 11:08:38 -0400

On Aug 29, 2005, at 4:56 AM, Stefan Urbanek wrote:

Hi,

I would like to write StepTalk documentation in OpenOffice.org
writer/draw/impress format. Can I upload such documentation into CVS?
Also, should I put PDF versions there too or generate PDFs only
for .tar.gz?

There are several reasons why I would like to do that:
- it is much faster to write docs there

- no need to waste time on various tags, focus on the contents

Not to be a pedant but actually this is one of the main points of markup-style systems, ranging from ROFF to LaTeX and texinfo to HTML and XML -- minimal markers indicating logical structure that are translated into appearance separately, as opposed to WYSIWYG where you can dabble all day deciding between 12-point bold and 14-point Italic for heading level X, then changing your mind (about what level X signifies, then as well how it should look), and.. True there is a learning curve for the tags used in markup, but I have yet to see a WYSIWYG that doesn't have at least as significant a curve overall. (Think of getting figure placement right in Word, for example..)

But OO.org has many other advantages as you point out, and if it makes you more motivated to write docs, that's the most important.. ;-) Can it export HTML?