Re: Proposal: Subversion Migration

From: Wim Oudshoorn
Subject: Re: Proposal: Subversion Migration
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 21:12:23 +0200

Alex Perez <aperez@student.santarosa.edu> writes:

> Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:
>> My 'vote', for what it's worth, is to stick with CVS for a while.
>> I don't want to get dragged in to the discussion on this, but ...
>> 1. I don't think that the flaws in CVS are causing people a great
>> deal of difficulty in practice or holding back GNUstep development.
>
> Of course you don't..you're a core developer, with carte blanche CVS
> access. Please, for the sake of others who may be interested in
> contributing, but just not willing to put up with whining about
> too-large patches, etc, take a step back, put yourself in someone
> else's shoes, and try to look at where the people who are proposing
> are coming from, instead of just saying "oh, everything looks fine to
> me"

Not sure if you realized, but:

1 - Whatever version control system you use, you still have
    the issue of copyright assignment.  So any access to the mainline
    needs to be restricted to people who are 'cleared',
    (reached some agreement witht the FSF).

2 - Due to some form of quality control, someone needs to judge
    the incoming fixes/patches.  Tools make a difference,
    but the complains about large patches will persist.

> it's an URGENT matter. For that matter, why must you wait for it to
> be? Consider it preventative maintenance. Consider it an investment in
> GNUstep's future. I'm frankly rather frustrated that the core devs are
> taking such a shortsighted view of the issue, because they have CVS
> access already. Indifference breeds defeat.

Well, if a group finds it very important to have a better version control
system, you can always implement a parallel version control system.
There are tools to synchronize between the different version control
systems.  This can lead to

CVS - official repository
 |                             ^
 | track mainline              | Send patches for incorperation in main
 v                             | line
Subversion - contributers archive

This is not unique and some googling will give you
the tools and instructions on how to set this up.

But, he, I am not going to bother with this.  But maybe
this can shorten the discussion somewhat.
I say, whoever really wants to work with a different version
control system, go ahead!

Wim Oudshoorn.