RE: Getting started developing software on MS Windows

From: Frode
Subject: RE: Getting started developing software on MS Windows
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 13:53:04 +0100

Hi!

On 19 Nov 2005, at 02:37, Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:

>Well you certainly shouldn't see a black window (I guess you mean
>blank, totally black).
>
>You should be expecting to see a window that looks like a GNUstep
>window, not a native looking one.  There are user default you can set
>to make GNUstep use native-style window borders and use the windows
>taskbar rather than an app icon ... when you start an application
>(assuming you are using an up to date copy of the windows backend) a
>panel will ask you to select the way you want to see things.

I made a screen-dump how the windows look likes -- maybe it's GNUstep's
native windows as you said. Look here:

  http://img109.imageshack.us/my.php?image=strangewindows4ia.png

>Sounds like some problem with the drawing code.

I was considering if it was some problem with path setup. I running the
GNUstep Msys terminal (GNUstep\Development\msys\1.0\msys.bat , i.e
rxtv.exe) that comes together with the Windows installer. Maybe this is
offtopic, but is there a more friendly terminal available on MS Windows?
Anyway, everytime I launch the GNUstep Msys I get a message:

  "Make cannot handle spaces in paths so the home directory 'C:\Document
and Settings\GÖRAN' may cause problems!"

This message most likely comes from
GNUstep\System\Library\Makefiles\user_home.exe when rxvt.exe is launched
because it prints out a similar message. An alternative way would be to
use windows 8.3 filename format, but I have not found ways to activate
this anywhere.

Even the o-umlat (Ö) fails to be text-encoded properly and the
enviroment creates folder-names like "C:\Document and Settings\GÍRAN",
"C:\Document and Settings\GÖRAN" or "C:\Document and Settings\G™RAN"
but never "C:\Document and Settings\GÖRAN".

>Even using native windows borders, GNUstep doesn't really look like
>ms-windows (we need the Camaleon theme engine integrated into the gui
>for that, and it's not yet done).

My goal is to first see if I can build my project in GNUstep. But at
least I know there will be some kind of window now. :-)

Thanks for your help!
/Frode