Re: Appkit documentation

From: Christopher Armstrong
Subject: Re: Appkit documentation
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2005 19:44:56 +1100

On Mon, 2005-12-05 at 20:39 +0100, Sašo Kiselkov wrote:
> First of all: great work! It would be absolutely fantastic to have some
> library
> of documents (electronic or printed, doesn't matter) of pure GNUstep
> knowledge.
> This is one of the important points where a hobby project changes into a
> serious
> development environment.
>
> A remarks on the document (I haven't read all...)

First all, thanks for the spelling corrections. Time has been limited,
with starting a new job and all, so I don't get vast amounts of time to
write this.

> - typo on page 11 (logical page 8), section 4.2 (Loading and Instantiaing
> Interface Files):
>
> id MyOwner;
> NSNib* myNib;
>
> should have the first letter of 'MyOwner' lowercase, shouldn't it?
>
> - Again section 4.2: before all playing with NSNib I would suggest adding a
> section explaining the simple use of -[NSBundle loadNibNamed:owner:] - I
> prefer
> this method before using NSNib, as it avoids having to create all sorts of
> instance variables and basically performs the same work, but with less code.
> Also, isn't NSNib by any chance an addition of Apple to OpenStep? Because I
> don't remember seeing it in the old OpenStep spec.

My concern is not following OpenStep nor Cocoa, but what exists in
GNUstep. Whether or not it exists in the  OpenStep spec I couldn't care
less about. I'll have to check whether it's in OpenStep, though.

> - Chapter 6 "The view concept": shouldn't capitalization in English be "The
> View
> Concept"? Also, the third word in the first sentence shouldn't read
> "applications" instead (as 'multiple' applicationS)?

Maybe, but I don't think it's necessary.

> - Chapter 6, 3. paragraph, 3. sentence doesn't have a space before the initial
> word 'NSRect'. Also, I would instead write here 'An NSRect consists of an
> NSPoint and an NSSize field,...'.
>
> - Chapter 6, 3. paragraph: "a mathematical coordinate system". To be precise,
> it's a Catersian coordinate system. But that's just a tiny detail.

Yep, will fix.

> - Chapter 6: add details about how to do the things which other graphical
> systems don't usually have, like origin translation, coordinate system
> transformations (e.g. make the view and all drawing in it appear horizontally
> squashed), rotation, view flipping etc.

Thanks, I'll try and write a chapter on that, and integrate it when I
figure it out later.

> - Chpater 7: the last word of the first sentece should read "views", shouldn't
> it?

Anyone got any other ideas on what's good for content? Again, even small
contributions would be great. Especially something structural, like
prototyped ideas.

Thanks
Chris