Re: Two random thoughts

From: Chris B. Vetter
Subject: Re: Two random thoughts
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 09:36:01 +0100

On 12/16/05, Fred Kiefer <fredkiefer@gmx.de> wrote:
> > to better support the development of Appkit bundles, wouldn't it make
> > sense to 'offer' an additional header directory that includes header
> > files found in gnustep-back, and put them in Headers/gnustep/back/ ?
> could you please explain what you are trying to achive? What sort of
> AppKit bundles are you thinking of and what would these use the backend
> headers for?

'Inofficial' backends, that is, those that aren't included in
gnustep-back. Right now, if you want to work on a project that does
need to override anything in XG*.h you will need to manually copy
those files over to your project tree so they can get included. That
may make it pretty... incompatbile to other releases.

> The different backend currently offer different internal functionality,
> by making this differences publicly accessible we would enforce
> applications that only work with some backends. Which looks like a bad
> thing to me.

Yes, I agree. OTOH, then there shouldn't be any Headers/gnustep/...
include directory.
As I see it, anything 'under' Headers/gnustep/... isn't supposed to be
used in a regular / 'normal' project anyway.

--
Chris