Re: encoding for i18n

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: encoding for i18n
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2006 18:59:55 +0100

On 1 Apr 2006, at 17:08, Ingolf Jandt wrote:

I am wondering which encoding to use for Localizable.strings-files. GNUMail and GWorkspace use Latin-1. As I use an @UTF-8 locale, I had to recode their files. (Else they complained ".../ Localizable.strings does not contain string data" or sth similar and switched back to English.) Terminal and AddressManager use 7- bit enc with explicit '\u...' tags. Portable but very unhandy to write.

So my question is: Is there an 'official' or proposed format for Localizable.strings? If not, there definitivly should be one explicit encoding -- guaranteed to work independantly of the locale setting. If it exists, it should be followed more closely.
(Of course I would try to be helpful in conversion.)

The official encoding for a .strings file is that of a property list: ASCII with \u escapes to unicode as Terminal and AddressManager do.

I think you can also safely use UTF8 or UTF16 as long as you start the file with a BOM (Byte Order Marker) ... as the code will recognize that.

Using anything else (like latin1) is just plain wrong and not portable.
I guess it might be good to make the code generate a warning if the file is not portable.