Re: GNUstep Base and Objective-C++

From: Christopher Armstrong
Subject: Re: GNUstep Base and Objective-C++
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2006 16:14:14 +1000

Now i have the following questions:
1) Which is the best practice to use .mm files in GNUmake files?
I simply use the usual GNUmakefile syntax in order to create my tool and
overwrite CC and LD as follows
  CC=gcc -x objective-c++
  LD=g++
This works fine so far but is it the recommended way? Has anyone been used objc++ in conjunction with GNUmake files so far and if so, how?

A directive for Objective-C++ files has been added:

xxx_OBJCC_FILES directive.

2) Do the current GS sources compile using objc++ ?
I encountered minor syntax errors with gnustep base 1.10.3 while including
Foundation.h.

... <SNIP>

I implemented simple workarounds for me and the objc++ code compiles
and runs fine with them. My question is now wether someone
has adressed the issues mentioned above so far or is willing to adress
them? Or did anyone even successfully used GS Foundation in conjunction with objc++?

Objective-C++ support is relatively new to the GCC compiler for all supported platforms (not just MacOS X), so GNUstep hasn't been well tested with Objective-C compilers. From what I can work out, some headers will need to be modified to compile as Objective-C++ (I've tried compiling minimal Objective-C++ code).

You're welcome to make the necessary changes to GNUstep so that it compiles with Objective-C++, and contribute them back to the source base.

Regards
Christopher Armstrong