Objective-C standard

From: Adrian Robert
Subject: Objective-C standard
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2006 10:50:01 -0400

I was recently refreshing my knowledge of C++ and found myself once again wondering at the tremendous disparity between market acceptance of one over the other -- even greater than the Wintel vs. Mac(tel) disparity. The lack of a standard is surely part of the problem. If you use Objective-C you basically lock yourself in to a particular compiler (bad) which could theoretically change its language definition (worse). (Of course Apple's not going to invalidate old code, but some of the alternatives might.)

The lack of a standard library is another part of the problem, which the OpenStep specification and obviously GNUstep solve, but now that OpenStep seems basically dead GNUstep becomes something like Mono, a more or less precarious clone of a proprietary API that is of use mainly for porting existing codebases.

I know Apple hosts an "ObjC language" list that might be more appropriate for (part of) this topic, but I'd be more curious to hear the perspective of (assumedly less Apple-orbiting) GNUsteppers. And I guess I'm wondering whether there's anything the open source community can do about these issues, since Apple seems not to be motivated, and Sun, who helped bring OpenStep about in the first place and aren't always as dumb as they look ;), seems to be caffeinated, dripped, and filtered out of the picture. Though I guess an updated OpenStep standard without Apple following it would be useless.. ;(

Thanks for your thoughts.

Adrian