NSPrinter problem (PPD)

From: Andreas Höschler
Subject: NSPrinter problem (PPD)
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2006 19:02:28 +0200

Hello all,

I just configured my printer with

defaults write NSGlobalDomain GSLPRPrinters '{ lp={PPDPath="/usr/local/ppds/xr_8400DP.ppd"; Host=localhost; Note="Xerox Phaser 8400DP"; Type="Xerox Phaser 8400DP"};}'

When I know open TextEdit.app I get a "Badly formatted hexadecimal substring in PPD printer file" exception and TextEdit.app dies. I have checked NSPrinter.m, it happens in

        -(NSString*) interpretQuotedValue: (NSString*) qString

but I have no idea what could be wrong here. I don't really understand what exactly this method is supposed to do. Any idea? I attached the PPD file if anybody cares.

I would like to use this opportunity how exactly printing is supposed to work under GNUstep. I have a print queue xerox that can be used rom the command line with

        lp -d xerox filname

The Xerox printer is a network printer reachable at 192.168.1.253. What would be the correct setting for such a beast? I guess HOST shoul dpoint to the IPAdresse of the print queue, right

defaults write NSGlobalDomain GSLPRPrinters '{ lp={PPDPath="/usr/local/ppds/xr_8400DP.ppd"; Host="192.168.1.253"; Note="Xerox Phaser 8400DP"; Type="Xerox Phaser 8400DP"};}'

Who is doing the PDF to PostScript conversion here if this shoul dbe necessary? I have installed Vindaloo as a PDF viewer and just relaized that this app cannot print!? What are you guys using for viewing and printing PDFs?

Thanks a lot,

 Andreas