Re: really attracting developers

From: Rogelio Serrano
Subject: Re: really attracting developers
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 10:06:35 +0800

On 8/27/06, Philippe C.D. Robert <philippe.robert@gmx.net> wrote:
Hi,

On 25.08.2006, at 12:05, Rogelio Serrano wrote:

> Whats keeping other developers from gnustep?
>
> incomplete ide?
> incomplete nextstep based system?
> incomplete libraries?
>
> i don't buy the general applications unavailability argument. we are
> talking about people who want to create apps under gnustep.
>
> i don't buy the appearance argument either.

It's funny (and sad...) that this discussion pops up every one and
then since years ...

IMO it is because some GNUstep developers don't want to see GNUstep
being a complete desktop solution (for X11 based systems), instead
they favour the cross-platform API path, whereas others don't want to
write major applications for GNUstep because it is not a complete
desktop and thus has no target audience - sadly GNUstep apps just
don't integrate with other desktops. It is kind of a chicken and egg
situation (yes I am aware of Etoile, but IMO I doubt this project
will have a big impact on GNUstep in terms of attracting new users or
developers - unless it gets integrated into GNUstep itself).

cross platform api or a desktop? does this have to be mutually exclusive?

i think we need to be cross platform for the desktop to be successful.

--
things i hate about my linux pc:

1. it takes more than a second to boot up
2. keeps asking about filenames and directories
3. does not remember what i was working on yesterday
4. does not remember all the changes i have ever made
5.cannot figure out necessary settings by itself