Re: really attracting developers

From: Doc O'Leary
Subject: Re: really attracting developers
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 10:50:12 -0500

In article <mailman.5596.1156500354.9609.discuss-gnustep@gnu.org>,
 "Rogelio Serrano" <rogelio.serrano@gmail.com> wrote:

> Whats keeping other developers from gnustep?

Depends on who those "other developers" are.  I can only speak as
someone who 10 years ago used GNUstep (such as it was) on Linux, but was
drawn by commercial interests to focus on NeXT/Apple development.  For
me, it's a question of what would get me *back* into GNUstep
development.  I'm the essentially the low bar; if you can't convince me
then you're in trouble.

> incomplete ide?

More useful to discuss is how to take an OpenStep project developed on
Mac OS X and get it working on a GNUstep system.  I don't at all poo-poo
the work on ProjectCenter, but if you really address where new
development is coming from you'll probably find that a lot of people are
cutting their ObjC teeth on Xcode.  More useful to me would be having
Xcode cross-compile and/or link to produce a binary that runs on a
GNUstep system.

> incomplete nextstep based system?
> incomplete libraries?

Not in any major way that a developer couldn't solve.  What matters more
is the lack of a market, because I'm not going to expend 10x the effort
to develop for a user base that is 100x smaller than even the Mac's.
What interests me still about GNUstep is the possibility of taking my
Mac apps to a place where Apple won't go, say like the Nokia 770.  Given
the dramatic price drop that has occurred since NeXT took over Apple
(yay, no more $5000 developer tools!), I think GNUstep is currently best
served by shifting focus slightly to be a deployment platform more than
a development platform.

--
My personal UDP list: 127.0.0.1, 4ax.com, buzzardnews.com, googlegroups.com,
    heapnode.com, localhost, x-privat.org