Re: The need for an official GNUstep desktop

From: Andreas Höschler
Subject: Re: The need for an official GNUstep desktop
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 12:43:28 +0200

Daer Gerold,

On the NeXT machine we used to have a service to swap from one character set to another (filter). What character encodings are you using?

Here is a screenshot of the preferences pane of TextEdit on the Mac.

TIFF image

ou can only set the encoding for plain text files, not for rtf. I have no idea which text encoding TextEdit is using when saving RTF but I guess it uses NSMacOSRomanStringEncoding.

It seems that GNUstep is not realizing that when reading the RTF stream from a file created on a Mac and vice versa. This is pretty bad! :-(

Does anybody know more about the rtf format than I do? Should the RTF stream contain the encoding so that core reading the rtf stream knows how to interpret the bytes?

Regards,

Andreas