Re: Help Writing Documentation

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Help Writing Documentation
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 16:18:01 +0000

On 21 Dec 2006, at 02:12, Stefan Bidigaray wrote:

I was going through the Base and GUI API earlier today and noticed that there was a lot of stuff missing from the documentation that I could easily do, mostly the typedef stuff. Since I've been thinking of ways to become more active on the project, now that I graduated college and still don't have a job, I was thinking I could work on stuff like that. Anyway, my question is, how would I go about doing that? I have a pretty good understanding of how autogsdoc works, so writing stuff to my local files wouldn't be a problem! The documentation about this stuff is pretty much non- existent on the Wiki and website.

Easy ... just

1. install/setup subversion and make sure you always use the latest source from svn trunk 2. change as little as possible when editing ... just add the comments you need for documentation and make sure the editor you use does not do horrible silent changes like replacing tabs by spaces or vice-versa. 3. post the diffs from trunk for inclusion into svn by a maintainer (or anyone with write access to the repository).

If you are careful about 1 and 2, you will generate small diffs which can easily be reviewed by someone with write access to the svn repository.

eg. if you have edited File.h you can generate a diff using
'svn diff File.h > File.h.diff'

or to get diffs for all the changed files in a directory together
'svn diff directoryname > directoryname.diff'

I think the best way to submit the changes is probably to have a load of changes in one file as a patch ... ie submit a patch at https://savannah.gnu.org/patch/? func=additem&group=gnustep and attach your .diff file to it.