Re: Cocotron

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: Cocotron
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 00:55:46 +0100

On Dec 23, 2006, at 20:32, Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:
I very strongly agree with that ... it always saddens me to see people re-inventing what GNUstep already does and duplicating effort rather than joining in.

I can't follow that, it sounds like everyone is re-inventing GNUstep all the time. Which isn't the case. There is just one new project which popped up, and apparently also has a focus which GNUstep just doesn't have (Windows deployment).

In fact a two or so years ago I suggested to work together which was rejected by GNUstep. Replace libFoundation with gnustep-base, gnustep- web with SOPE-appserver, SOPE-imap with GNUmail, etc. Eliminate DUPs. Fact is that GNUstep also won't let go for better alternatives due to individual, personal reasons ... IMHO GNUstep at least appears to be much more religious/uncooperative here than any other people in the same sector. Possibly because more people with vastly diverging expectations are involved.

I think it basically comes down to the fact that the work is being done by volunteers. Which prefer doing their own stuff in their free time. Eg why would I bother about code formatted in that ridiculous GNU coding style in my freetime! (just kidding ;-)

However, my impression is that unfortunately the reason is often either religious differences over licensing/copyright

This was fun :-) Given that *GNU*step itself only exists because of this :-)

Anyways, Oliver Langer wanted to run a session on precisely this topic on FOSDEM :-) So I suppose we should defer discussion till then.

Greets,
  Helge
--
Helge Hess