Re: Missing interface that connects NSCoder to NSStream ?

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: Missing interface that connects NSCoder to NSStream ?
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 16:50:13 +0100

On Mar 13, 2007, at 02:21, Vaisburd, Haim wrote:
It's hard to believe Next people did not think about those needs.
Am I missing something?

OpenStep didn't even include streams. NS*Stream only got added in MacOS 10.3 or 10.4.

This is why most people wrote their own streaming library, eg ours can be found here:

  http://svn.opengroupware.org/SOPE/trunk/sope-core/NGStreams/

eg this includes NGCharBuffer which is good for writing streamed parsers.

Notably streaming only makes sense if you are really exchanging a LOT of data (rather unlikely for typical JSON applications).

"but I do not know where the encoded dictionary ends until I have parsed it". You should use JSON-RPC over HTTP, Foundation has a full HTTP client builtin and simple HTTP servers are available too (eg Richards libWebServer).
I have no idea why JSON-RPC encourages the use of a plain socket.

Greets,
  Helge
--
Helge Hess