RE: Missing interface that connects NSCoder to NSStream ?

From: Vaisburd, Haim
Subject: RE: Missing interface that connects NSCoder to NSStream ?
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 12:32:15 -0700

Helge,

Thanks a lot for prompt response.

Helge Hess wrote:

> OpenStep didn't even include streams. NS*Stream only got added in
MacOS 10.3 or 10.4.
> This is why most people wrote their own streaming library, eg ours can
be found here:
>   http://svn.opengroupware.org/SOPE/trunk/sope-core/NGStreams/

A-ha! That explains. I think it would make sense then to add a GNUstep
extension for that.
If I write something reasonable, I'll present it for public
consideration.

> Notably streaming only makes sense if you are really exchanging a LOT
of data
> (rather unlikely for typical JSON applications).
> [...]
> You should use JSON-RPC over HTTP

My first version of the mail contained details that would explain the
reasoning,
but it went huge and I deleted this part before sending.
I'm going to establish connection between a gnustep and non-gnustep
application for data exchange. No relation to www whatsoever.
JSON-RPC looked an ideal tool for that.

Of course, whether it really is I would be able to tell only after the
thing
works (or not).

> I have no idea why JSON-RPC encourages the use of a plain socket.

This is starting to be off-topic, but why not?

Thanks again,
Tima.