Re: Was GNUstep ready for GNUstep ?

From: Stefan Bidigaray
Subject: Re: Was GNUstep ready for GNUstep ?
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2007 14:45:37 -0400

On 4/29/07, Tim McIntosh <tmcintos@avalon.net> wrote:
This is only a half baked idea, but it seems like it would be nice to have a summary table on the wiki (or somewhere) for each core release that included the following information for all applications and frameworks:
Package Name
Latest Version
Release Date
Primary Maintainer (None if package is not actively maintained)
Verified Working With This Core Release? (Yes/No)
Platforms Tested

I agree with Andrew on this one... who's going to maintain this list?  That's double the trouble for half the results!  Like I said, in my opinion, it has to be the package maintainer's responsibility to catalog what version of GNUstep-core his application requires seeing as he/she would be the only one that knows what classes/methods the code requires off the top of his head, not to mention they would have tested the code before release.

Seeing as GNUstep still doesn't have a 1.0 release, I think the backward incompatibility is even more important!  At this point, there should be no worries about who's code the next release is going to break.  However, once a 1.0 release is announced, I think all 1.x code should be not only API compatible but also ABI compatible (that is, mostly bug fixes).  This is a conversation for another day though, and kind of diverges from the current subject.

Stefan