Re: simplewebkit and vespucci

From: Riccardo
Subject: Re: simplewebkit and vespucci
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2007 23:15:34 +0200

Hi,

On 2007-07-03 21:40:40 +0200 "Stefan Bidigaray" <stefanbidi@gmail.com> wrote:

Very nice! I was just wondering how the progress was going. I've been following the development on GAP's CVS repo and just noticed Vespucci is now document-based. Really nice to hear that it in a usable state now! Wish I could code and help you guys out, right now all I can do is test it, which I
plan on doing as soon as I get a chance.
yes, I converted it to being a Document based applicaiton so it is able to handle multiple open windows. Saying it is in a usable state is being bold, there is little, it is just enough for that screenshot, unfortunately.

I'll take the chance to also ask you guys how much longer until we can get something usable (comparable to Dillo, not Firefox or Safari)? Keep in mind I haven't check SimpleWebKit nor Vespucci out, so I don't know how good
advanced they are.

Well, we have two different battles: the SWK core and the Browser. If we continue at this rate it oculd be that by the end of the summer we have something similar to Dillo. SWK parses quite a bit of stuff, but it has problems rendering images and links with images. Also there are problems with the view component itself: the whole page gets parsed but only a part of it displayed... there is a poblem with the view resizing, I am not sure.

The other battle front is the Browser itself, even if it is document based now it is extremely primitive and the few (which is not enough to be usable either) is even buggy! If some simple stuff like history managment, title setting, URL setting and status display will work, it will start to be usable. I can check this because I compile Vespucci under Mac too with WebKit and even there it is broken, so once it will have "dillo features" on mac we will be at a good point! Bookmarks and such niceties will follow sure.

So you see there is really a lot of work, but I wanted to show some progress, we are not "stuck", not yet at least. I could use some help form time to time when I get stuck in vespucci and nothing works and I don't know how to fix it. ANy volunteers?

Cheers,
   Riccardo