Re: New ProjectCenter Icons

From: Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller
Subject: Re: New ProjectCenter Icons
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 20:14:54 +0200

Am 11.09.2007 um 19:39 schrieb Riccardo:

Hi,

I actually prefer to have separate, apps for editing different things ... then their gui can be better tailored to the specific task.

I too prefer having different applications for different tasks. I Find that PB and IB are well integrated together, PC and GORM will follow.

Yes, they are integrated, but I would not agree that they are *well* integrated. I can imagine a lot of areas where integration could be better.

And it is the basic question: should PC and GORM follow what Apple is doing or try to go a different - potentially better way?

My main target for this discussion is to think about how GNUstep could revolutionize IDEs by making things really simpler for daily work... This might help to attract new developers and users. So, it is more to be seen as a feature request for PC/GORM 2.0

I would rather leave things as they ar, just improve them. A big do- it-all application just gets more complex. Look at the simplicity of PB compared to XCode...

Yes, that is a good argument.

Xcode got so complex because it even includes a Class browser and a Data Entity relationship modeler (a graphical tool!) for defining the CoreData models. I have really no clue why Apple decided to integrate that into Xcode and not IB or vice versa...

Also note that IB can be used to edit NIB files without a project, you can open files included in an application (that is also a selling point, translate things once deployed, etc etc)

You can also open Source code files in Xcode without having a project. So, why should it not be possible to open NIB files without a project?

Note also that Gorm provides GormLib so if you really feel the need of a different ide you can create a new, revolutionary one. It may be a feature of for example ProjectManager to integrate these different concepts. There is no doubt that some developer might prefer that way, other the current traditional way. So providing both...

PC and GORM are just an implementation, everybody can do them in a different way.

Hm - while I like this idea of doing things differently - I always hear that fragmentation and duplication of efforts is not so good...

And the basic question that is driving me into this discussion is not answered: how can we attract new users and developers? IMHO one puzzle piece is by starting to develop better concepts than there are today (e.g. from Apple).