Re: New ProjectCenter Icons

From: Graham J Lee
Subject: Re: New ProjectCenter Icons
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 21:42:54 +0100

On 13 Sep 2007, at 13:59, Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:

What I still do not understand is why almost all arguments against my proposal finally end up like (well I am making it quite black&white):

"It is already good how it is solved (because it comes from NextStep). Well, Xcode/IP have now something that is missing in GNUstep/PC/GORM. So we just have to add the missing things, i.e. some DO between PC and GORM and FileMerge to interact between both and everything is fine."

I guess that's because most people think that separate apps integrated via DO and distributed notifications will provide a better user experience than a monolithic application that does everything. My favorite example of the app that does everything is microsoft word ... which I find utterly unusable. You either live with a huge amount of clutter in toolbars and menus, or you customise it to the point where it's completely non-standard, and you can't effectively use anyone elses customised version.

The clutter does make pointyhairware apps unusable - I recently spent 10 minutes searching for the Change Password option in a groupware client among a suffusion of toolbars (it eventually turned up about five clicks from the main screen). Conversely I've seen statements on my local MUG along the lines of "<Foo.app> sucks because you can't do <bar>", where actually bar _is_ available through the Services menu. What people really want seems to be:
http://iamleeg.blogspot.com/2006/10/best-app-evar.html
but without the cluttered UI ;-).

Seriously, I think the reason that Services goes un[der]used on the Mac is that the documentation is in the wrong place - "my app provides a word count service which can be used in your app" makes a less strong mental association than "my app has a word count feature". Thus while people may desire lots of little apps that do lots of little things, ultimately they're harder to work with because the flow is non-obvious.

Cheers,
Graham.