Re: New ProjectCenter Icons

From: Gregory John Casamento
Subject: Re: New ProjectCenter Icons
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 22:27:24 -0700 (PDT)

Nikolaus,

> What I still do not understand is why almost all arguments against my
> proposal finally end up like (well I am making it quite black&white):
>
> "It is already good how it is solved (because it comes from
> NextStep). Well, Xcode/I[B] have now something that is missing in
> GNUstep/PC/GORM. So we just have to add the missing things, i.e. some
> DO between PC and GORM and FileMerge to interact between both and
> everything is fine."

Since you're making it "black & white" allow me to as well:

As I said in a previous email... I'm a big believer in the "have one
application do one thing and do it well" philosophy.  Gorm is very good at
modifying GUIs... it doesn't need to be built into a monolithic IDE (even as a
module) in my opinion.

What you're talking about is something like Eclipse.  I use Eclipse on a daily
basis... it's nice, but it's slow and it's also an enormous memory hog.

> I am sure, there are better (from a user's point of view) solutions
> than copying Xcode/IB...
We are NOT blindly copying.   There are a lot of things in Xcode which will
never, I hope, be put into PC.  Things like the UML tool and the Data modelling
tool don't belong in Xcode as far as I'm concerned.   After you mentioned it
the other day I went and looked at it in Xcode (I had never really played with
it before).   I remember literally thinking how it felt like it should have
been a completely separate application.

There is no reason why the level of integration you want can't be reached by
using DO.

You seem to be taking the direction of "anything which differs from what Apple
is doing *must* be good."   That view is equally as meritless as the
"everything Apple does is right" view which you claim that everyone who
disagrees with you is espousing.   I don't think that everything Apple does is
right.   That's why I'm advocating making a number of apps which collaborate
together via DO instead of a monolithic memory hogging monstrosity like Xcode.
;)

Later, GJC

--
Gregory Casamento