Palettes and libraries.. (was Re: Interface localization ?)

From: Gregory John Casamento
Subject: Palettes and libraries.. (was Re: Interface localization ?)
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 10:42:49 -0800 (PST)

Chris,

Just to make a few things clear.  It's not a matter of "merging" anything from
Renaissance into Gorm for dynamic support of resizing or translation.   All
that's necessary is to create a palette with GSHbox and GSVbox (which are part
of GNUstep gui) and the appropriate editors and inspectors.   I actually
already started one a while ago, but other things (such as nib support)
distracted me from completing this.  It's under dev-libs/palettes/Boxes, if
anyone is interested.  It doesn't fully work at this point, as I said, since I
didn't have a chance to complete it.

As far as interface localization goes, Gorm has a Translate feature under the
Document menu which allows you to export the existing strings in the interface
and create a strings file.   This feature will allow you to provide the
translations and then load the strings back and Gorm will replace the strings
with the translations provided.   Granted it's not dynamic, but my feeling is
that, if I have one interface for all languages, is it necessarily appropriate
for all for all of them?

Some languages are written left to right, and others right to left.  Still
others are written vertically.   This functionality, however, can also be
implemented in Gorm via a palette.   You can simply add one which provides an
object that translates every string in the gui on the fly (similar to what
Renaissance does).   It would need to be accompanied with a library/framework
that would be linked to the application at runtime.

One of the beautiful things about Gorm is that it's never necessary to dig into
it's internals to modify it's behavior.  Palettes and (soon) plugins are a
wonderful thing. :)

Later, GJC
--
Gregory Casamento -- OLC, Inc