Re: Window flickering (Was: Question on mini windows)

From: Andreas Höschler
Subject: Re: Window flickering (Was: Question on mini windows)
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 19:25:20 +0100

Hi David,

No, it isn't Etoile. This is the test used by GNUstep to find out about the window borders. The idea here is to check all combination of border
settings once and to store the resulting window borders for these. The
values get cached on the root window, that is why you see it only for
one GNUstep applications. This wont be needed in the future, when more
and more window manager will adopt the new _NET_REQUEST_FRAME_EXTENTS
protocol. The code for this is already in GNUstep, just try it once with
Gnome.

I patched my version of GNUstep to draw the flickering windows off the screen and suffered no ill effects.

How?

Has anybody a recent GNUstep version running with Etoile? I am considering to upgrade my tree in a couple of days but am wondering whether this is a good idea since I hear only bad things about Etoile with regard to recent changes in GNUstep!? Has anybody cared recently to check Etoile against GNUstep (Camaleon, Narcissus,...)?

Thanks,

 Andreas