Re: GNUstep + Xcode

From: Markus Hitter
Subject: Re: GNUstep + Xcode
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 19:23:57 +0200

Am 22.04.2008 um 22:13 schrieb Joe Toscano:

I'm attempting to develop a project based upon the Foundation and netclasses (http://netclasses.aeruder.net/) frameworks. I would like to develop it on OS X using Xcode, and eventually deploy it on a headless Linux machine running GNUstep.
[...]
1) Is it possible?

Yes.

2) Are there any critical differences between Apple's and GNUstep's respective implementations of the Foundation framework?

Depending on which configuration options you preferred when installing GNUstep, you actually use Apple's Foundation framework. Short of some possible bugs, they are 100% interchangeable (and GNUstep's Foundation ist pretty much complete).

(Against which should I link my project?

(joke)Against Apple's Foundation on monday, tuesday and wednesday. Against GNUstep's on the other days ;-) (/joke)

3) Can frameworks compiled against GNUstep libraries (such as, for example, the netclasses framework which I installed via MacPorts) be used in an Xcode project?

Yes.

With respect to #3, I've encountered a rather irritating problem: a class defined in the netclasses framework (called IRCObject, quite clearly defined in IRCObject.h) is rejected by the linker as "not found". Yes, I have added the netclasses framework to my Xcode project.

Does the linker find the framework? Have you investigated the framework with nm / otool?

Markus

Dipl. Ing. Markus Hitter
http://www.jump-ing.de/