Re: Cross-dev with gnustep make and xCode

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Cross-dev with gnustep make and xCode
Date: Fri, 2 May 2008 01:22:07 -0700 (PDT)

> Where would I find an example project (GNUmakefile,. resources,..) that
> builds a complete application for MacOSX? I have built MacOSX
>
> Would it even be possible to build fat binaries (PPC, Intel) with
> gnustep make?

One more idea: look at the SWK or GSCoreData sources. Both have a Demo
Application that runs on the Mac and on GNUstep (SWK Browser,
DataBuilder).

The basic trick is
* have a common source file directory (.h and .m files)
* have there an Xcode project that builds natively (or universal) for
the Mac - linking against Apple Cocoa frameworks (!)
* add a GNUmakefile and a separate GNUstep-Info.plist
* use a SVN repository to share/sync these files between a Mac and a
Linux machine
* on the Linux machine use GNUstep-make to build for Linux/GNUstep
* use Solaris machine to build for Solaris/GNUstep

So, what you should NOT try (although it is also possible):
* use GNUstep to create applications to run natively on OSX (unless
you have a good backend and require your users to install GNUstep
through MacPorts/Fink) - i.e. OSX compatible .app bundles
* compile on Xcode (i.e. Apple-gcc) to deploy code on Non-OSX machines
(unless you have the correct cross-compiler for the target machine.
That is what I am doing with QuantumSTEP for the ARM architecture).

i.e. don't cross-compile. Share the sources in a common repository.

-- hns