How to get a running GNUstep desktop ?

From: Rubens_Septimus
Subject: How to get a running GNUstep desktop ?
Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 16:37:19 -0700 (PDT)

Hello all of us,

I had a GNUstep running a few weeks with Wmaker, GWorkspace and so on, all
from deb packages from Ubunutu Hardy, but with buggy printing. Well, GC
explained to me that Ubuntu packages were out of date. I was told to make it
all by myself from source, so I did it again with gnustep-startup and all
went well and pretty good at this moment. I used 'sudo -E make install' to
finish this gnustep install : oK.

But things now begin complicated for my poor knowledge :

If I try to build GWorkspace from source (GWorkspace-0.8.6) or then from
svn, reading the doc from Enrico Sersale, I can't get things working because
GWdata don't build first :

Making all for tool mdextractor...
 Compiling file mdextractor.m ...
 Compiling file updater.m ...
 Linking tool mdextractor ...
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lMDKit
collect2: ld a retourné 1 code d'état d'exécution
make[3]: *** [obj/mdextractor] Erreur 1
make[2]: *** [mdextractor.all.tool.variables] Erreur 2
make[2]: quittant le répertoire «
/home/patrick/Technique/Construction_GNUstep/Applications_compilees/GWorkspace/trunk/GWMetadata/gmds/mdextractor
»
make[1]: *** [internal-all] Erreur 2
make[1]: quittant le répertoire «
/home/patrick/Technique/Construction_GNUstep/Applications_compilees/GWorkspace/trunk/GWMetadata/gmds
»
make: *** [internal-all] Erreur 2

or :

 Compiling file mdextractor.m ...
 Compiling file updater.m ...
 Linking tool mdextractor ...
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lMDKit
collect2: ld a retourné 1 code d'état d'exécution
make[3]: *** [obj/mdextractor] Erreur 1
make[2]: *** [mdextractor.all.tool.variables] Erreur 2
make[2]: quittant le répertoire «
/home/patrick/Technique/Construction_GNUstep/Applications_compilees/GWorkspace-0.8.6/GWMetadata/gmds/mdextractor
»
make[1]: *** [internal-all] Erreur 2
make[1]: quittant le répertoire «
/home/patrick/Technique/Construction_GNUstep/Applications_compilees/GWorkspace-0.8.6/GWMetadata/gmds
»
make: *** [internal-all] Erreur 2

If I try also to build from Etoile svn, the OgreKit can't build :
/home/patrick/Technique/Construction_GNUstep/Etoile/Etoile/Frameworks/OgreKit/OgreKit/OGRegularExpression.h:109:
erreur: expected specifier-qualifier-list before «regex_t»
In file included from NSString_OgreKitAdditions.m:15:
/home/patrick/Technique/Construction_GNUstep/Etoile/Etoile/Frameworks/OgreKit/OgreKit/OGRegularExpressionMatch.h:33:
erreur: expected specifier-qualifier-list before «OnigRegion»
make[5]: *** [obj/NSString_OgreKitAdditions.o] Erreur 1
make[4]: *** [RegularExpression.all.subproject.variables] Erreur 2
make[4]: quittant le répertoire «
/home/patrick/Technique/Construction_GNUstep/Etoile/Etoile/Frameworks/OgreKit/Source/RegularExpression
»
make[3]: *** [Source.all.subproject.variables] Erreur 2
make[3]: quittant le répertoire «
/home/patrick/Technique/Construction_GNUstep/Etoile/Etoile/Frameworks/OgreKit/Source
»
make[2]: *** [OgreKit.all.framework.variables] Erreur 2
make[2]: quittant le répertoire «
/home/patrick/Technique/Construction_GNUstep/Etoile/Etoile/Frameworks/OgreKit
»
make[1]: *** [internal-all] Erreur 2

Well, it seems I can't build anything from svn or source until now... What
else ? I can't choose to revert to a running desktop without printing. Is
FreeBSD more up to to date and more easy to get running ? I wonder what all
the GNUstep dev use : maybe OS X ? I'm very confused...

Goodnight,
Patrick