Re: How to get a running GNUstep desktop ?

From: Rubens_Septimus
Subject: Re: How to get a running GNUstep desktop ?
Date: Sat, 17 May 2008 15:31:00 -0700 (PDT)

Quentin Mathé wrote:

> [...]
>> on, all
>> from deb packages from Ubunutu Hardy, but with buggy printing. Well,
>> GC
>> explained to me that Ubuntu packages were out of date. I was told to
>> make it
>> all by myself from source, so I did it again with gnustep-startup
>> and all
>> went well and pretty good at this moment. I used 'sudo -E make
>> install' to
>> finish this gnustep install : oK.
>>
>> But things now begin complicated for my poor knowledge :
>>
>> If I try also to build from Etoile svn, the OgreKit can't build :
>> /home/patrick/Technique/Construction_GNUstep/Etoile/Etoile/
>> Frameworks/OgreKit/OgreKit/OGRegularExpression.h:109:
>> erreur: expected specifier-qualifier-list before «regex_t»
>> In file included from NSString_OgreKitAdditions.m:15:
>> /home/patrick/Technique/Construction_GNUstep/Etoile/Etoile/
>> Frameworks/OgreKit/OgreKit/OGRegularExpressionMatch.h:33:
>> erreur: expected specifier-qualifier-list before «OnigRegion»
>> make[5]: *** [obj/NSString_OgreKitAdditions.o] Erreur 1
>> make[4]: *** [RegularExpression.all.subproject.variables] Erreur 2
>> make[4]: quittant le répertoire «
>> /home/patrick/Technique/Construction_GNUstep/Etoile/Etoile/
>> Frameworks/OgreKit/Source/RegularExpression
>> »
>> make[3]: *** [Source.all.subproject.variables] Erreur 2
>> make[3]: quittant le répertoire «
>> /home/patrick/Technique/Construction_GNUstep/Etoile/Etoile/
>> Frameworks/OgreKit/Source
>> »
>> make[2]: *** [OgreKit.all.framework.variables] Erreur 2
>> make[2]: quittant le répertoire «
>> /home/patrick/Technique/Construction_GNUstep/Etoile/Etoile/
>> Frameworks/OgreKit
>> »
>> make[1]: *** [internal-all] Erreur 2
>
> Did you install libonig and libonig-dev packages or compile oniguruma
> 5 (from trunk/Dependencies/oniguruma)?
> I installed Etoile on Ubuntu Hardy one week ago and everything went
> fine except some minor dependency changes (see trunk/Etoile/
> INSTALL.Ubuntu for a list of the packages to install).
>
>> Well, it seems I can't build anything from svn or source until
>> now... What
>> else ? I can't choose to revert to a running desktop without
>> printing. Is
>> FreeBSD more up to to date and more easy to get running ?
>
> FreeBSD seems to have a well maintained collection of GNUstep and
> Etoile ports, but I never tried to use them. The GNUstep ports are
> based on the stable versions of GNUstep which suffer from the printing
> issue I think and also aren't compatible with Etoile. However I got
> told you can install unstable versions of GNUstep by defining
> WITH_GNUSTEP_DEVEL.
>
>> I wonder what all
>> the GNUstep dev use : maybe OS X ? I'm very confused...
>
> I personally use Ubuntu as some GNUstep/Etoile devs do.

I am a noob : I did not see the file INSTALL.Ubuntu... So, now I have read
it and added the missing packages (libonig-dev...) and I can go further, but
I get a new error while building Corner :

Build Project: Corner

  /home/patrick/ETOILE/Etoile/Services/Private/Corner Corner
Making all for tool Corner...
 Compiling file Corner.m ...
Dans le fichier inclus à partir de Corner.m:1:
/home/patrick/ETOILE/Etoile/Services/Private/Corner/Corner.h:3:30: erreur:
StepTalk/StepTalk.h : Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type
In file included from Corner.m:1:
/home/patrick/ETOILE/Etoile/Services/Private/Corner/Corner.h:14: erreur:
expected specifier-qualifier-list before «STEnvironment»
/home/patrick/ETOILE/Etoile/Services/Private/Corner/Corner.h:15: erreur:
expected specifier-qualifier-list before «STEngine»
Corner.m: Dans la fonction «-[Corner init]» :
Corner.m:51: erreur: «scriptingEnvironment» undeclared (first use in this
function)
Corner.m:51: erreur: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
Corner.m:51: erreur: for each function it appears in.)
Corner.m:51: erreur: «STEnvironment» undeclared (first use in this function)
Corner.m:52: erreur: «smalltalkEngine» undeclared (first use in this
function)
Corner.m:52: erreur: «STEngine» undeclared (first use in this function)
Corner.m: Dans la fonction «-[Corner invokeActionForCorner:]» :
Corner.m:124: erreur: «smalltalkEngine» undeclared (first use in this
function)
Corner.m:125: erreur: «scriptingEnvironment» undeclared (first use in this
function)
make[4]: *** [obj/Corner.o] Erreur 1
make[3]: *** [Corner.all.tool.variables] Erreur 2
make[3]: quittant le répertoire «
/home/patrick/ETOILE/Etoile/Services/Private/Corner »
make[2]: *** [internal-all] Erreur 2
make[2]: quittant le répertoire «
/home/patrick/ETOILE/Etoile/Services/Private »
make[1]: *** [internal-all] Erreur 2
make[1]: quittant le répertoire « /home/patrick/ETOILE/Etoile/Services »
make: *** [internal-all] Erreur 2

I am not sure making things the right way :
1°) I made first GNUstep core from sources
make 2.0.5
Foundation 1.15.3
AppKit 0.13.2
Backend 0.13.2
2°) I start gdomap with a script within /etc/init.d
3°) I start  gdnc and gpbs with WindowMaker autostart (until I get Azalea
running)
4°) I got Etoile from SVN and do "make".
Is that the right way ?

Any idea what is wrong now with Corner ?

Patrick