Re: Is there going to be a release soon?

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: Is there going to be a release soon?
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 08:24:15 -0700

On Nov 20, 2008, at 3:15 PM, David Chisnall wrote:

P.S. The stable/unstable version numbering system really confuses a lot of people. Everyone expects 0.14 to come after 0.13, not before. The odd-unstable/even-unstable system is used by a load of projects (including the Linux kernel) but no one I've come across else has them the same way around as GNUstep. I realise the rationale for this was to encourage people to use the latest stable, but this is usually a decision made by packagers (who go with stable or unstable, depending on their target audience, and know which order they come in) while people compiling from source usually just use svn and don't care about versions.

If it's a new release cycle (e.g. X.X.0), then the stable and unstable releases come at the same time. So if we release 0.14.0 stable, we release 0.15.0 unstable at the same time.

I guess I didn't bother to release gui 0.15.0 (because it would be the same as 0.14.0 anyway), but I probably should have.

Right now we're in the middle of a series, so the unstable and stable releases could come in any order depending on when the "release manager" wants to release them, but in any case the unstable release is always an odd minor number greater than the stable release. So I guess I am confused because you seem to think the opposite is happening.