Re: gnustep debian app developer env setup (help needed)

From: EL
Subject: Re: gnustep debian app developer env setup (help needed)
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 12:50:49 -0800 (PST)

Thank you all gentlemen for your helps.
I think that I really know so little about the OS and GNUstep..

I'm now with Ubuntu 8.10. Hope represent an average user taking advantage of
ubuntu's easy system setup.

Even http://svn.gna.org/svn/etoile/trunk/Etoile/INSTALL.Ubuntu gives a very
detailed list of Dependencies, get all the libs  in place is still not a
trivial job. lib names changes: I have to spend time find out, say libGL, in
terms of ubuntu is  what...

I think some way to check the existence of libs will help. The dependency
doc like http://gnustep.made-it.com/BuildGuide already did very good job but
it still have for me to check the existence of them and get the right thing
to install before compiling GS packages.

Anyway, I think that I'm pretty close  to build GNUstep now. Actually I did
compiling/installing of make, foundation, gui and back one by one. Seems ok.
I also compiled and tried ProjectCenter, it seems working.
I've seen these:
checking sys/mntent.h usability... no
checking sys/mntent.h presence... no

But I got numerous errors compiling gnustep-examples-1.2.0 and
Renaissance-0.8.0. Looks like the make cannot find the files  to import.
Build PDFKit-0626095 failed:
checking whether to use freetype2 library... (cached) /lib
checking where to find the freetype2 header files... (cached)
/include/freetype2
configure: error: argument must be a directory
make[2]: *** [Makefile] Error 1
make[1]: *** [internal-all] Error 2
make: *** [PDFKit.all.framework.variables] Error 2

When configure GWorkspace, get msg
checking dir.h usability... no
checking dir.h presence... no
checking for dir.h... no
checking for getmntinfo... no
checking for sys/mntent.h... no
checking for struct mntent.mnt_dir... yes
checking for struct mntent.mnt_mountp... no
checking for getmntent in -lsun... no
checking for getmntent in -lseq... no
checking for getmntent in -lgen... no
checking dir.h usability... no
checking dir.h presence... no

More seriously, I can go  through making GWorkspace ok but it cannot run
from command:
2008-11-26 13:05:59.617 GWorkspace[25271] Did not find correct version of
backend, falling back to std.
2008-11-26 13:05:59.695 GWorkspace[25271] NSApplication.m:285  Assertion
failed in initialize_gnustep_backend.  Unable to find backend back
Aborted

I did tried to install things from ubuntu packages, don't know where is
goes, I just uninstalled all of ubuntu gunstep packages from package
manager. /usr/GNUstep is the place to install gnustep manually, according to
the guide.

Thanks for your help again.