Re: make sysinstall/Makefile.preamble/GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DOMAIN

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: make sysinstall/Makefile.preamble/GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DOMAIN
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 13:55:43 +0000

The other problem is that if you go into a subdirectory of gnustep- gui and install only that subdirectory, unless you have an installation_domain file in each subdirectory, your domain installation preference would be ignored and you'd end up with stuff
in the wrong place.

I thought a single central configuration file would be the simplest option and would
prevent such problems.

I don't think so. In fact, it looks even worse to me since you would have to copy the PACKAGE_NAME variable definition into the GNUmakefile of every subdirectory where you
possibly could run make install.

We always had this problem in that we had to "copy" GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DOMAIN=SYSTEM in all and every GNUmakefile of a project that was meant to "automatically" install into System. ;-)

In the end, I'm now tempted by Richard's suggestion of just forgetting about all this and going back to square one. That is, everything is installed into Local by default and if you need to do anything different, you can use shell variables, shell aliases, shell scripts and all the other Unix things to automate repetitive tasks.

Comments welcome.

Thanks