Re: make sysinstall/Makefile.preamble/GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DOMAIN

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: make sysinstall/Makefile.preamble/GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DOMAIN
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 23:08:34 +0100

Nicola Pero wrote:
> In the end, your suggestion was too good to ignore.  I wiped out my
> changes of yesterday,
> and implemented your proposal - actually a simplification/improvement of
> it. :-)
>
> The new system allows people building from source to completely
> customize where they
> want each package to go by default.
>
> You just need to copy the new file installation-domains.conf from
> core/make to the same
> directory where your GNUstep.conf is (usually /etc/GNUstep/), then edit
> it to suit your
> installation domain "needs", listing which packages you want in which
> installation
> domain by default.
>
> That's it. :-)
>
> This new configuration file is optional and is read if it exists and
> ignored otherwise.  It is
> not installed by default by gnustep-make which means the default
> behaviour is to
> install everything into Local.  Another advantage of gnustep-make not
> installing it
> is that once you create your own /etc/GNUstep/installation-domains.conf
> file,
> it will never be overwritten or modified by gnustep-make, so it will be
> there forever
> and used forever.
>
> For all this to work well, though, all GNUstep software needs to always
> define the
> PACKAGE_NAME in GNUmakefiles, as in
>
>  PACKAGE_NAME = gnustep-base
>
> and that needs to happen in all the GNUmakefiles.  Otherwise
> gnustep-make can't know
> what it is currently installing, so it can't choose the correct default
> installation domain. :-(
>
> I'll start updating the core packages to have PACKAGE_NAME everywhere.

I tried this new setup, but it doesn't seem to work for me. Worse, doing
a "make uninstall" in base, after it ended up in Local, fails:

Making uninstall for resource_set base-resources...
rmdir
/usr/GNUstep/Local/Library/Libraries/gnustep-base/Versions/1.19/Resources
rmdir: konnte
„/usr/GNUstep/Local/Library/Libraries/gnustep-base/Versions/1.19/Resources“
nicht entfernen: Das Verzeichnis ist nicht leer
make[2]: [internal-resource_set-uninstall_] Fehler 1 (ignoriert)

(That German bit means, it cannot delete the directory as it isn't
empty. There is a left over empty Languages directory)

Calling "make GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DOMAIN=SYSTEM install" seems to work,
but why doesn't the new installation domain change kick in, although I
copied that installation-domains.conf to /etc/GNUstep, which is where
GNUstep.conf is located on my machine?

Fred