Fwd: FYI: "CoreData lite"

From: Yen-Ju Chen
Subject: Fwd: FYI: "CoreData lite"
Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 08:00:09 +0800

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Dirk Theisen <d.theisen@objectpark.org>
Date: Tue, May 5, 2009 at 12:06 AM
Subject: FYI: "CoreData lite"
To: cocotron-dev@googlegroups.com

From:    Ken Case <KC@omnigroup.com>
Subject:         FYI: OmniDataObjects
To:      eof@omnigroup.com
Date:    4. Mai 2009 16:49

Hi, all, it's been a while!

We still use EOF for one of our internal projects (OmniBugSnacker), but
as you all know it's getting a little long in the tooth.  (It gets
harder and harder to keep it limping along with each OS
upgrade--really, it's amazing that it still works at all on Leopard
after so many years and an architecture switch.)

For OmniFocus, we decided to try CoreData since we didn't need to store
our database on a central server.  (Setting up a central server to hold
your data is a hard sell for a consumer app anyway.)  It works
reasonably well for that purpose, and certainly has a more modern API
than EOF!  When we decided we needed to be able to synchronize that
data, we recorded the CoreData transactions (insert, update, delete) as
XML and sent them to a WebDAV server where other clients could read
them and apply the same changes.  Now, this doesn't exactly replace
EOF, but it does have some advantages:  you can access your data
offline, and synchronize it on your own schedule (through notifications
or on your own schedule or on demand).

Anyway, the reason I mention all this is because when we ported
OmniFocus to the iPhone last year, we were surprised to find that it
didn't have CoreData yet--so we ended up writing the pieces we needed
and releasing them as the OmniDataObjects framework, which we released
as open source under an MIT license.  Some of those pieces might be
useful in other contexts; since it's all under an MIT license, you're
welcome to grab whatever bits you find useful and use them however you
like.

All of Omni's open source frameworks are now published through github
(you'll find a link to them at <http://www.omnigroup.com/developer/>),
and if you want to talk about OmniDataObjects further it has its own
mailing list (nearly as quiet as this one!) at
<http://www.omnigroup.com/mailman/listinfo/omnidataobjects>.

                Cheers,
                Ken