Re: to make newbie more comfortable and easier to glance: suggestion on

From: Zhang Weiwu
Subject: Re: to make newbie more comfortable and easier to glance: suggestion on change frontpage of gap
Date: Tue, 05 May 2009 23:56:30 +0800

Riccardo Mottola wrote:
I understand what you want to change and appreciate your effort, but it is
confusing to me. I prefer without the descriptions. Furthermore, imagine
when new applications will be added! A real mess! In the future maybe some
kind of categorization will be needed.
You are right that it could be messy with a lot of applications. It is not my intention to put all applications with description on the front page. However general website design suggest links without description will not be clicked at all. When I visit GAP the first time I wasn't aware there are so many good things on it because it's not conformable to click through where half are not interesting to me.

It is like some websites put a photo of all team member without explanation, in the end, only visitors who happen to know the team member in person would click that photo. But the team could be unaware of that because they know who is one the photo.
If you want a page that acts more of a guide with short descriptions, a page
were a whole "GAP based"  environment setup is descripbed is more
appropriate, so the user can read, pick what he needs and go in to deeper
details.
I guess visitors want to see such a page. Putting too many links on a front page has the side effect that if people are not interested in one of the links they walkaway thinking there are nothing further interesting to them, which is exactly what happened to me 2 years ago. It took me 2 years to come back to gnustep project again and check in detail what's going on, which happened last week.
I also disagree with hiding non-released projects, they are maybe not
dormant, just unreleased. For example the Browser Vespucci had quite some
talk, so it should be correctly represented on the front page.
Agreed. I'd rather say instead of hiding non-released projects, projects doesn't have a page should either have a page (even if very brief, in one sentence what the project does and contact person) or gets hidden. Otherwise they look like deadlinks. Deadlinks gives visitor impression that no management is going on and people are not serious about it, which is exactly how I felt 2 years ago. In last 2 years I learned to not to consider opensource project like commercial projects: in opensource projects better poke in and ask a lot of questions to see what's going on. But there are people like me nowadays.
Actually, some of our projects miss a page and some screenshot, I'll work on
that.

You will do everybody a great help by putting pages on the not-released projects. Thanks!