Re: to make newbie more comfortable and easier to glance: suggestion on

From: hns
Subject: Re: to make newbie more comfortable and easier to glance: suggestion on change frontpage of gap
Date: Sat, 9 May 2009 23:49:50 -0700 (PDT)

On 10 Mai, 01:46, Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf <lars.sonchocky-
helld...@hamburg.de> wrote:
> Hi Riccardo,
>
> I second Zhang's view. A short description would give visitors - who
> aren't gnustep old stagers - an idea what "GAP" and all the other
> stuff on that page is about. Even if the frontpage is considered just
> a quick acces page.
>
> I think it would also help with regard to search engines which then
> would be able to display a short text in their search results.
>
> The non released project should get a label that says "coming soon"
> or similar IMHO.
>
> Take for instance a website likehttp://unsanity.com/who also offer
> (although commercial) software (this is only an example of how such a
> page can be done, not an advertisement for them). They have a similar
> setup like GAP. Their frontpage has a *detailed* 'news' section so
> that regular visitors get a quick impression what happened. Their
> 'products' pagehttp://www.unsanity.com/products/lists not only the
> names of the apps they're selling, but also a short description of
> those. Or would you have known what for instance their "silk" or
> "mighty mouse" is for without having a *short* introduction first?

That reminds me what the GNUstep Software Index is showing as content
(in a different layout).

   http://www.gnustep.org/softwareindex/

Maybe, it should be more part of the GAP Web Page?

If it would help, we could add a database checkbox "GAP" so that it
shows only the GAP projects.