Re: Problem with GNUstep and Objective-C++

From: David Ayers
Subject: Re: Problem with GNUstep and Objective-C++
Date: Thu, 07 May 2009 20:55:46 +0000

Am Donnerstag, den 07.05.2009, 16:33 +0100 schrieb David Chisnall:
> On 7 May 2009, at 16:17, Mike Simmons wrote:
>
> > The part "objc++ is completely unmaintained" is a little worrisome.
> > Can I assume that it is stable/usable? I need it only to allow my
> > app to use existing C++ code in various libraries. Apart from
> > instantiating the existing C++ objects and invoking their methods
> > from within my Objective-C code, I really won't be doing any new C++
> > code.
>
> It may work.  It may continue to work in the future.  It isn't built
> by default in the packaged versions of GCC for most operating
> systems.  For portable code, consider adding a C wrapper around your C+
> + code.

We could setup a regression tester for objc++, submit test cases and
report bugs if when they appear.  None of this will guarantee that it
can't bit rot but when changes are made that cause issues I suspect the
committer will either try to fix it, or explain what needs to be done.
At that point we it we'd need someone to actually fix it, if the
maintainers feel the patch is more important that the regression.

I do not know much about c++ so I do not know how usable it currently is
and I'm not able to write test cases.

Cheers,
David