gnome minimize-to-try application doesn't work

From: Zhang Weiwu
Subject: gnome minimize-to-try application doesn't work
Date: Fri, 08 May 2009 13:17:15 +0800

Hello.

There are gnome applications that usually minimize to tray and open a window when user clicks a button on the tray. e.g. stardict, a dictionary software, would sit in gnome tray most of the time, and in most time does not display any window. It display a window when user clicks its tray icon.

AS ordinary user, I expect when I run such gnome application in gnustep, I would be able to click the application icon (in windowmaker) and bring up a window like I did by clicking gnome tray icon. But it doesn't work for me. Clicking on the application icon would not bring a new window.

Question:

  1. How it should be? Should gworkspace swallow the application in its
     dock and act as gnome tray icon? Should windowmaker handle this by
     making application icon behave like tray icon? Should the software
     itself change a bit to fit certain standard on desktop application
     interactiveness?
  2. Who should I complain to for a change? Windowmaker, gnustep or the
     team who wrote the tray-icon application?