why gnustep doesn't have a browser for it?

From: gildororonar
Subject: why gnustep doesn't have a browser for it?
Date: Fri, 08 May 2009 04:20:35 -0500

I recently learned about GNUStep from blog "Why Did GNUstep Never Really Take Off?" <pinderkent.blogsavy.com/archives/134#> and begin to study and try it a bit.

I am trying to figure out why gnustep does not have a browser yet. I searched google and found this blog post explain current progress of browser development:

http://multixden.blogspot.com/2008/01/browser-and-webkit-progress.html

The general impression I get is "wait, there are still a lot of things to do before you can use a GNUStep brower".

I am totally newbie in the browser area so I am confused that it seems a lot of work on the browser development went to parse HTML, render pages in CSS etc. As far as I know this is the job of a browser engine, and we already have many browser engine that is working pretty well, what is the point to make a new different one? We have QT browser that uses gecko engine, gtk-based browser that usese webkit engine, which gives me an impression that a brower does not have to have its own engine.

In my humble opinion a browser works for gnustep would be as simple as building user inteface for accessing addressbar, managing bookmarks, managing tabbed browsing (or, in gnustep with the fact not all windows have to be on the task bar, tabbed browsing may not even be a must-requirement), manage user's preference etc. Although I am not a developer, I couldn't imagine this a very difficult work because I saw other people did such thing in opensource world as well as commercical software (where they wrap-in IE and call it something different with a different user interface).

In short, my question is: is the reason we don't have a browser /for/ gnustep yet because the developer community want to have a browser /of/ gnustep, that is entirely built with objective-C and gnustep tools and libraries? Is there a believe having a non-pure browser is worse than having no browser? If that is the case, it would be stupid, because if you don't give user something to use now, at the pace currently software industry goes, they will never need something from you, because they are fullfilled with what others can offer, like KDE/GNOME/Windows/Mac OS/XFCE etc.