Re: why gnustep doesn't have a browser for it?

From: Zhang Weiwu
Subject: Re: why gnustep doesn't have a browser for it?
Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 11:36:59 +0800

David Chisnall wrote:
There is a browser in Étoilé svn which works as you describe, by simply taking a Gecko X11 view and reparenting it. This is not a good solution, however, because it means that things like text fields do not have the same behaviour as other GNUstep text fields, buttons do not look like GNUstep buttons, copy and paste / drag and drop do not work in a GNUstep-friendly way and so on.

Is it better having a non-full fledged product than having no product for certain purpose, or worse?

I hope Étoilé release their browser soon and I'll try it first. I hope Étoilé has something for the users NOW during when gnustepers working hard to get a full feature browser engine that uses gnustep widgets. When a gnustep-widget based rendering engine is available, full feature and stable, Étoilé have no reason to not use that. For the moment I think Étoilé people are doing the right thing.
If you look at any of the GTK/Qt browsers that use WebKit (for example) you will notice that they all use a branch of WebKit which uses the native toolkits for the rendering work. There have been a couple of efforts to port WebKit to GNUstep in the same way that it has been ported to Qt, GTK, S60, Windows, and so on, but they are not in a mature state (although Nicolas said he would take a look at WebKit from this perspective at the hackathon next week, so we may have some progress soon...)
Expecting good news!