Re: Makefile question

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: Makefile question
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2009 12:33:40 +0200

On 4 Sep 2009, at 12:13, Philippe Roussel wrote:

Hi all,

I currently use the appended makefile to build my application.

I want to add the file config.h automagically generated from
config.h.in by a call to './configure' and I'm stuck on how to do that
with GNUmakefile.

Add config.h to SimpleAgenda_HEADER_FILES ;-)

If you want gnustep-make to automatically detect when config.h has not been created yet,
you can add a rule for it in GNUmakefile.postamble:

before-all:: config.h

config.h: config.h.in configure
        ./configure

Another question : should I add the configure script to the sources or
just configure.ac so that svn users would have to launch autoconf ?
gnustep-base keeps configure in svn but I don't know why.

Some (many end) users don't have autoconf installed. ;-)

So, you should include configure.ac so that developers can make changes to it and regenerate configure; but you should also include configure so that normal users can run configure without having to install autoconf (or worry about the autoconf
version) ;-)

Bonus points for a solution coherent with 'make dist' : config.h and
others generated files shouldn't be included.

Edit your GNUmakefile.postamble and add:

after-distclean::
        -rm config.h

Let me know if that works for you

Thanks