Re: Changes I've been thinking of...

From: Truls Becken
Subject: Re: Changes I've been thinking of...
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 00:54:49 +0200

Michael Thaler wrote:

> GNUstep had fifteen years to present GNUstep as a development environment to
> developers / users. There have been articles in linux magazines, there have
> been articles on slashdot / osnews and other major software news websites.
> In my opinion GNUstep as a software development environment failed because it
> did not attract many developers / users.I don't think marketing will solve
> this because in my opinion it is basically useless to develop applications
> using the GNUstep development environment because they do not integrate with
> KDE nor GNOME nor Windows and there is no real GNUstep desktop environment
> (but I am quite happy about Etoile). I don't think marketing will change any
> of that. I think the only way to change that is to change the direction of the
> project (but as I said above, this is my personal opinion and I do not want to
> force it on anybody. If people prefer GNUstep the way it is, it is fine with
> me, there are enough alternatives).

I think you are definitely right in that what keeps developers from
choosing GNUstep for their work is that applications do not integrate
well with other desktop environments. This is not news, however, and
I'm not sure what you mean by changing the direction of the project.
What should be done besides the things Gregory listed in his 2007
visions, and backed up as still valid for 2009?

http://heronsperch.blogspot.com/2006/12/plans-for-change.html
http://heronsperch.blogspot.com/2008/12/gnustep-in-year-2009-look-back-and-look.html

-Truls