Re: Window manager interaction

From: Philippe Roussel
Subject: Re: Window manager interaction
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 10:04:39 +0200

On Fri, Oct 16, 2009 at 07:29:59AM +0100, Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:
> The documentation says:
>
> GSSuppressAppIcon
> A boolean value, NO by default. Specifies wether the application icon
> window should not be displayed. Set to YES for background server
> applications.
>
> I think the expectation is that, if you have set GSSuppressAppIcon to
> YES, it's because your app is not intended to appear on-screen (I think
> that's what 'background server' means), or that your window manager will
> be handling activation of the app some other way.

Well, yes, but that's the only way I know of to suppress the AppIcon.
I just want the windows of my applications to appear on the screen and
in the taskbar.

> The other default (GSAppOwnsMiniwindow) is the one which is supposed to
> control whether miniwindows are controlled by the application or by the
> window manager, and if that's set to 'NO' then (as I understand it) the
> miniwindows should not appear on the desktop.  I'm not sure how well this
> works though.

It works quite well. If set to YES, when I minimize a window, this
window disappears from the taskbar and becomes a miniwindow. If set to
NO, the window remains in the taskbar and there's no miniwindow.

In my case, if the 'Hide' menu item just minimized the application
windows, GNUstep applications would behave like other applications.

I'll add my commments to the bug Fred pointed to.

Thanks,
Philippe
--
Sur le plus beau trĂ´ne du monde, on n'est jamais assis que sur son cul !
Montaigne