Re: Window manager interaction

From: Wolfgang Lux
Subject: Re: Window manager interaction
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2009 13:41:45 +0200

Riccardo Mottola wrote:

Well, if I did not have the AppIcon, I'd have no pixel left either.
I'm running 0.92 on Freebsd, but I had the same on linux debian, linux gentoo, x86, ppc... it is a long-standing problem.

It does not happen "always" or I'd have filed a bug for it. It affects of course only GNUstep apps, but I do not know if interaction with non-gnustep apps plays a role.

I think this problem is related to (or the same as) the one I reported in bug #26438. The problem essentially seems to be that WindowMaker lets a GNUstep application manage the appicon only if it is the first window created. If the appicon is not the first window, WindowMaker takes over responsibility for the appicon itself. This problem can be reproduced (at least) when you start the first GNUstep application in a fresh X session and also when you set the user default GSIgnoreRootOffsets to YES, because in both cases -back attempts to determine the size of the window decorations before creating the appicon.

Wolfgang