Compiling GNUstep vs. Cocoa?

From: Jay Phelps
Subject: Compiling GNUstep vs. Cocoa?
Date: Sun, 16 May 2010 22:17:45 -0700

Question:  Assuming you write your application using the APIs that both GNUstep and Cocoa support (and not anything else like the OS X Cores), why does your application need to be compiled separately for each platform?

Forgive my ignorance guys, but I love learning things new, and couldn't find a definitive, nerdy enough, answer.  I'm sure there's a very good reason why this isn't currently possible.

Thanks, and freakin awesome work!!

Jay