Re: gdomap and registered names

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: gdomap and registered names
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2010 16:38:53 +0100

On 26 Jun 2010, at 13:31, Quentin Mathé wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'd be interested to know how  to register a name with gdomap, list all the
> registered names etc.

gdomap -H gives you the options but ...

> When I try gdomap -R Test, gdomap -N or gdomap -L GDNCServer (while having
> gdnc running) I get:
> "failled to contact gdomap on myhostname(127.0.1.1) - Operation now in
> progress"
>
> Trying to run the same command with sudo -E gives the same result.
>
> DO works fine though. What am I doing wrong?

Probably trying to use gdomap inappropriately when you don't want/need it.

> Although it's unrelated to the previous problem, I also observed some rare
> cases where DO might start to fail (exception in the app trying to use
> NSConnection) and where the failure would continue after restarting gdomap.
> The only solution is then to rm -r /tmp/GNUstepSecureXXX

The gdomap deamon is completely unused for most applications!   I don't think
any GNUstep applications use it in normal operation (ie if you haven't given
them command-line options to tell them to communicate between different
hosts/users).  The vast majority of DO connections are private to a single user
on a single machine and use message ports (implemented as unix domain sockets
or as message queues on mswindows) and they don't need/use a namesperver as
name information is written to the local filesystem (or windows registry).

The usual cause for name registration to fail is if another process exists
using that name ... removing the directory containing the files representing
the names will of course cure that

If you want to get into the details, look as NSMessagePortNameServer.m ... If
you want to write a tool to list/manage ports (which might be a nice addition
to the base Tools area), the information you need should be contained in that
file.